Greg A. Kirchenbaum, Ph.D.
Senior Staff Scientist
Personal StatementI have a long-standing fascination with the immune system, and specifically the development and maintenance of immunology memory in the context of natural infection or prophylactic vaccination. Since joining CTL, I have been exploring the utility of the ImmunoSpot (ELISPOT/FluoroSpot) assay platform for performing detailed characterization of rare antigen-specific B cell populations.
Education and Training
- BS with Honors, (2006), Biology, Florida State University
- PhD, 2013, Immunology, University of Colorado, Denver
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Vaccine and Gene Therapy Institute of Florida
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Center for Vaccines and Immunology, University of Georgia
- Köppert S, Wolf C, Becza N, Sautto GA, Franke F, Kuerten S, Ross TM, Lehmann PV, Kirchenbaum GA. Affinity tag coating enables reliable detection of antigen-specific B cells in ImmunoSpot assays. 2021. Cells. Jul 17;10(8):1843.
- Lehmann AA, Kirchenbaum GA, Zhang T, Reche PA, Lehmann PV. Deconvoluting the T cell response to SARS-CoV-2: specificity versus chance and cognate cross-reactivity. 2021. Front Immunol. May 28; 12:635942.
- Forgacs D, Abreu RB, Sautto GA, Kirchenbaum GA, Drabek E, Williamson KS, Kim D, Emerling DE, Ross TM. Convergent antibody evolution and clonotype expansion following influenza virus vaccination. 2021. PLoS One. Feb 22;16(2):e0247253.
- Przybyla A. Lehmann AA, Zhang T, Mackiewicz J, Galus L, Kirchenbaum GA, Mackiewicz A, Lehmann PV. Functional T cell reactivity to melanocyte antigens is lost during the progression of malignant melanoma, but is restored by immunization. 2021. Cancers. Jan 9;13(2):233.
- Ecker JW, Kirchenbaum GA, Pierce SR, Skarlupka AL, Abreu RB, Cooper RE, Taylor-Mulneix D, Ross TM, Sautto GA. High-yield expression and purification of recombinant influenza virus proteins from stably-transfected mammalian cell lines. 2020. Vaccines. Aug 21;8(3):462.
- Franke F, Kirchenbaum GA, Kuerten S, Lehmann PV. IL-21 in conjunction with anti-CD40 and IL-4 constitutes a potent polyclonal B cell stimulator for monitoring antigen-specific memory B cells. 2020. Cells. Feb 13;9(2):433.
- Abreu RB, Kirchenbaum GA, Clutter EF, Sautto GA, Ross TM. Preexisting subtype immunodominance shapes memory B cell recall response to influenza vaccination. 2020. JCI Insight. Jan 16;5(1):e132155.
- Sautto GA, Kirchenbaum GA, Abreu RB, Ecker JW, Pierce SR, Kleanthous H, Ross TM. A computationally optimized broadly reactive antigen subtype-specific influenza vaccine strategy elicits unique potent broadly neutralizing antibodies against hemagglutinin. 2020. J Immunol. Jan 15;204(2):375-385.
- Lehmann PV, Suwansaard M, Zhang T, Roen DR, Kirchenbaum GA, Karulin AY, Lehmann A, Reche PA. Comprehensive evaluation of the expressed CD8+ T cell epitope space using high-throughput epitope mapping. 2019. Front Immunol. Apr 26;10:655.
- Sautto GA, Kirchenbaum GA, Ecker JW. Bebin-Blackwell AG. Pierce SR, Ross TM. Elicitation of broadly protective antibodies following infection with influenza viruses expressing H1N1 computationally optimized broadly reactive hemagglutinin antigens. 2018. Immunohorizons. Aug 27;2(7):226-237.
- Kirchenbaum GA, Allen JD, Layman TS, Sautto GA, Ross TM. Infection of ferrets with influenza virus elicits a light chain-biased antibody response against hemagglutinin. 2017. J Immunol. Dec 1;199(11):3798-3807.
- Kirchenbaum GA, Carter DM, Ross TM. Sequential infection in ferrets with antigenically distinct seasonal H1N1 influenza viruses boosts hemagglutinin stalk-specific antibodies. 2015. J Virol. Nov 11;90(2):1116-28.
- Beljanski V, Chiang C, Kirchenbaum GA, Olagnier D, Bloom CE, Wong T, Haddad EK, Trautmann L, Ross TM, Hiscott J. enhanced influenza virus-like particle vaccination with a structurally optimized RIG-I agonist as adjuvant. 2015. J Virol. Oct;89(20):10612-24.
- Kirchenbaum GA, St Clair JB, Detanico T, Aviszus K, Wysocki LJ. Functionally responsive self-reactive B cells of low affinity express reduced levels of surface IgM. 2014. Eur J Immunol. Apr;44(4):970-82
- Aviszus K, Macleod MK, Kirchenbaum GA, Detanico TO, Heiser RA, St Clair JB, Guo W, Wysocki LJ. 2012. J Immunol. Nov 1;189(9):4275-83.